Genesis 1-10 Eng-latin
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1. In principio creavit Deus coelum et terram.
2. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
2. Terra autem erat informis et inanis; tenebraeque erant in superficie voraginis, et Spiritus Dei agitabat se in superficie aquarum.
3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
3. Et dixit Deus, Sit lux. Et fuit lux.
4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
4. Viditque Deus lucem quod bona esset; et devisit Deus lucem a tenebris.
5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
5. Et vocavit Deus lucem, Diem: et tenebras vocavit Noctem. Fuitque vespera, et fuit mane dies primus.
6. And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
6. Et dixit Deus, Sit extensio in medio aquarum, et devidat aquas ab aquis.
7. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
7. Et fecit Deus expansionem: et divisit aquas quae erant sub expansione, ab aquis quae erant super expansionem. Et fuit ita.
8. And God called the firmament Heaven. And the and the morning were the second day.
8. Vocavitque Deus expansionem Coelum. Et fuit vespera, et fuit mane dies secundus.
9. And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
9. Postea dixit Deus, Congrentur aquae quae sunt sub coelo, in locum unum, et appareat arida. Et fuit ita.
10. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
10. Et vocavit Dues aridam, Terram: congregationem vero aquarum appellavit Maria. Et vidit Deus quod esset bonum.
11. And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
11. Postea dixit Deus, Germinet terra germen, herbam seminificantem semen, arboram fructiferam, facientem fructum juxta speciem suam cui insit semen suum super terram. Et fuit ita.
12. And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
12. Et protulit terra germen, herbam seminificantem semen juxta speciem suam, et arborem facientem fructum cui semen suum inesset juxta speciem suam. Et vidit Deus quod esset bonum.
13. And the evening and the morning were the third day.
13. Et fuit vespera, et fuit mane dies tertius.
14. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
14. Tunc dixit Deus, Sint luminaria in firmamentum coeli, ut dividant diem a nocte, et sint in signa, et stata tempora, et dies, et annos:
15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
15. Et sint in luminaria in expansione coeli, ut illuminent terram. Et fuit ita.
16. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
16. Et fecit Deus duo luminaria magna: luminare majus in dominium diei, et luminare minu in dominium noctis, et stellas.
17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
17. Posuitque ea Deus in expansione coeli, ut illuminarent terram:
18. And rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: amd God saw that it was good.
18. Et ut dominarentur diei ac nocti, et dividerent lucem a tenebris: et vidit Deus quod esset bonum.
19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
19. Et fuit vespera, et fuit mane dies quartus.
20. And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
20. Postea dixit Deus, Repere faciant aquae reptile animae viventis, et volatile volet super terram in superficie expansionis coeli.
21. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
21. Et creavit Deus cetos magnos, et omnem animum viventem, repentem, quam repere fecerunt aquae juxta species suas: et omne volatile alatum secundum speciem cujusque. Et vidit Deus quod esset bonum.
22. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
22. Beneedixitque eis, dicendo, Crescite et multiplicate vos, et replete aquas in maribus; et volatile multiplicet se in terra.
23. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
23. Et fuit vespera, et fuit mane dies quintus.
24. And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
24. Postea dixit Deus, Producat terra animam viventem secundum speciem suam, jumentum et reptile, et bestias terrae secundum speciem suam. Et fuit ita.
25. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
25. Fecitque Deus bestiam terrae secundum speciem suam, et jumentum secundum speciem suam, et omne reptile terrae secundum speciem suam: et vidit Deus quod esset bonum.
26. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
26. Et dixit Deus, Faciamus hominem in imagine nostra, secundum similitudinem nostram; et dominetur piscibus maris, et volatili coeli, et jumento, et omni terrae, et omni reptili reptanti super terram.
27. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
27. Creavit itaque Deus hominem ad imaginem suam, ad imaginem inquam Dei creavit illum: masculum et foeminam creavit eos.
28. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
28. Et benedixit illis Deus, dixitque ad eos Deus, Crescite, et multiplicate vos, et replete terram, et subjicite eam, et dominemini piscibus maris, et volatili coeli, et omni bestiae reptanti super terram.
29. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
29. Et dixit Deus, Ecce, dedi vobis omnum herbam seminificantem semen, quae est in superficie universa terrae, et omnem arborem in qua est fructus arboris seminificans semen: ut vobis sit in escam.
30. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
30. Et omni bestiae terrae, et omni volatili coeli, et omni reptanti super terram in quo est anima vivans, omne olus herbae erit in escam. Et fuit ita.
31. And God saw every thing that he had made, an behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
31. Et vidit Deus omne quod fecerat, et ecce bonum valde. Et fuit vespera, et fuit mane dies sextus.
Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.1. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
1. Perfecti fuerunt igitur coeli et terra, et omnis exercitus eorum.
2. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
2. Perfeceratque Deus die septimo opus suum quod fecerat, et quievit die septimo ab omni opere suo quod fecerat.
3. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
3. Benedixit autem diei septimo, et sanctificavit illum: quod in illo quievisset abomni opere suo quod creaverat Deus ut faceret.
4. These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
4. Istae sunt generationes coeli et terrae, quando creati sunt, in die qua fecit Jehova Deus terram et coelos,
5. And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.
5. Et omne virgultum agri antequam esset in terra, et omnem herbam agri antequam germinaret: quia nondum pluere fecerat Jehova Deus super terram, et homo non erat qui coleret terram:
6. But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
6. Sed vapot ascendebat e terra, et irrigabat universam superficiem terrae.
7. And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
7. Formaverat autem Jehova Deus hominem e pulvere terrae; et inspiaverat in faciem ejus spiraculum vitae, et fuit homo in animam viventem.
8. And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
8. Plantaverat quoque Jehova Deus hortum in Heden ab Oriente: et posuit ibi hominem quem formaverat.
9. And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
9. Et germinare fecerat Jehova Deus e terra omnem arborem concupiscibilem visu, et bonam ad vescendum; et arborem scientiae boni et mali.
10. And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.
10. Et fluvius egrediebatur ex Heden ad irrigandum hortum; et inde dividebatur, eratque in quatuor capita.
11. The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;
11. Nomen unius, Pison: ipse circuit totam terram Havila, ubi est aurum:
12. And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
12. Et aurum terrae illius bonum: ibi est bdellium, et lapis onychinus.
13. And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.
13. Nomen vero fluvii secundi Gihon: ipse circuit omnem terram Aethipiae.
14. And the name of the third river is Hiddekel: that is it which goeth toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.
14. Et nomen fluvii tertii Hiddekel; ipse tendit ad orientem Assur; et flumen quartum est Perath.
15. And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
15. tulit itaque Jehova Deus hominem, et posuit eum in horto Heden, ut coleret eum, et custodiret eum.
16. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
16. Praecepitque Jehova Deus homini, dicendo, De omni arbore horti comedendo comedes:
17. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
17. At de arbore scientiae boni et mali ne comedas ex illa: quia in die quo comederis ex ea, moriendo morieris.
18. And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
18. Et dixit Jehova Deus, Non est bonum esse hominem solum: faciam ei adjutorium quod sit coram ipso.
19. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
19. Formaverat autem Jehova Deus e terra omnem bestiam agri et omne volatile coeli; et adduxerat ad Adam ut videret quomodo vocaret illud: et omne quod vocavit illi, illi inquum, animae viventi, est nome ejus.
20. And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
20. Vocavit itaque Adam nomina cuique jumento, et volatili coeli omnique bestiae agri: Adae vero non invenerat adjutorium quod esset coram se.
21. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
21. Cadere igitur fecit Jehova Deus soporem super Adam, et dormivit: et tulit unam e costis ejus, et clausit carnem pro ea.
22. And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
22. Et aedificavit Jehova Deus costam quam tulerat ex Adam in mulierem, et adduxit eam ad Adam.
23. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
23. Et dixit Adam, Hac vice os est ex ossibus meis, et caro ex carne mea: et vocabitur Virissa, quia ex viro sumpta est ista.
24. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
24. Idcirco relinquet unusquisque paterm suum et matrem suam, et adhaerebit uxori suae, eruntque in carnem unam.
25. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
25. Erant autem ambo nudi, Adam et uxor ejus: et non pudebat eos.
Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?1. Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
1. Porro serpens erat callidior omni bestia agri, quam fecerat Jehova Deus: et dixit ad mulierem, Etiamne dixit Deus, Non comedetis ex omni arbore horti?
2. And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
2. Et dixit mulier ad serpentem, De fructu arborum horti vescimur.
3. But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
3. At de fructu arboris quae est in medio horti, dixit Deus, Non comedetis ex ea, neque contingetis eam, ne forte moriamini.
4. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
4. Tunc dixit serpens ad mulierem, Non moriendo moriemini.
5. For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
5. Scit enim Deus quod in die qua comedeits ex ea, aperientur oculi vestri, et eritis sicut dii, scientes bonum et malum.
6. And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
6. Et vidit mulier quod bona esset arbor ad vescendum, et quod delectabilis esset oculis, et desiderabilis arbor ad intelligendum: et tulit de fructu ipsius, et comedit: deditque etiam viro suo qui erat cum ea, et ipse comedit.
7. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
7. Et aperti sunt oculi amborumipsorum, et cognoverunt quod nudi essent: et consuerunt folia ficus, feceruntque sibi cingula.
8. And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
8. Audierunt autem vocem Jehovae Dei deambulantis per hortum ad auram diei: et abscondit se Adam et uxor ejus a facie Jehovae Dei, in medio arborum horti.
9. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
9. Vocavitque Jehova Deus Adam, et dixit ei Ubi es tu?
10. And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
10. Et ait, Vocem tuam audivi in horto, et timui, quia nudus eram, et abscondi me.
11. And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
11. Tunc dixit, Quis indicavit tibi quod nudus esses? nonne ex ipsa arbore de qua praeceperam tibi ne comederes, comedisti?
12. And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
12. Et ait Adam, Mulier quam dedisti ut esset mecum, ipsa dedit mihi de arbore, et comedi.
13. And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
13. Dixitque Jehova Deus ad mulierem, Cur hoc fecisti? Et ait mulier, Serpens seduxit me, et comedi.
14. And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
14. Et dixit Jehova ad serpentem, Quia fecisti hoc, maledicuts eris prae omni animali, et prae omni bestia agri: super ventrem tuum gradieris, et pulverem comedes omnibus diebus vitae tuae.
15. And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
15. Et inimicitias ponam inter to et inter mulierem, et inter semen tuum et inter semen ejus: ipsum vulnerabit to in capite, et tu vulnerabis ipsum in calcaneo.
16. Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
16. Ad mulierem dixit, Multiplicando multiplicabo dolorem tuum, et conceptum tuum: cum dolore paries filios, et ad virum tuum erit desiderium tuum, ipseque dominabitur tibi.
17. And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
17. Adae vero ait, Quia paruisti voci uxoris tuae, et comedisti ex arbore de qua praeceperam tibi, dicens, Non comedes ex ea: maledicta terra propter to: in labore comedes eam cunctis diebus vitae tuae.
18. Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
18. Et spinam et tribulum germinabit tibi, et comedes herbam agri.
19. In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
19. In sudore vultus tui vesceris pane, donec revertaris in terram: quia ex ea sumptus es: nam pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
20. And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
20. Et vocavit Adam nomen uxoris suae Hava, quia ipsa est mater omnis viventis.
21. Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
21. Fecitque Jehova Deus Adae et uxori ejus tunicas pelliceas, et induit eos.
22. And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
22. Tunc dixit Jehova Deus, Ecce, Adam factus est tanquam unus ex nobis, sciendo bonum et malum: nunc autem ne forte mittat manum suam, et accipiat etiam de arbore vitae, et comedat, et vivat in seculum.
23. Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
23. Et emisit eum Jehova de horto Heden, ad colendum terram ex qua sumptus fuerat.
24. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
24. Et ejecit Adam, et collocavit ab Oriente horti Heden cherubim, et laminam gladii versatilis, ad custodiendum viam arboris vitae.
And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.1. And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
1. Et Adam cognovit Hava uxorem suam: quae concepit, et peperit Cain: et dixit, Acquisivi virum a Jehova.
2. And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
2. Et addidit parere fratrem ejus Ebel: fuit autem Ebel pastor ovium, et Cain fuit cultor terrae:
3. And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
3. Et fuit, a fine dierum adduxit Cain de fructu terrae oblationem Jehovae.
4. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
4. Et Ebel etiam ipse adduxit de primogenitis pecudum suarum, et de adipe earum: et respexit Jehova ad Ebel, et ad oblationem ejus:
5. But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
5. Ad Cain vero et ad oblationem ejus non respexit: iratus est itaque Cain valde, et concidit vultus ejus.
6. And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
6. Et dixit Jehova ad Cain, Utquid excanduisti? et utquid concidit vultus tuus?
7. If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
7. Annon si recte egeris, erit acceptatio? et si non bene egeris, in foribus peccatum cubat: et ad to erit appetitus ejus, et tu dominaberis ei.
8. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
8. Et loquutus est Cain ad Ebel fratrem suum: et accidit quum essent in agro, insurrexit Cain contra Ebel fratrem suum, et occidit eum.
9. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
9. Et dixit Jehova ad Cain, Ubi est Ebel frater tuus? Et ait, nescio: nunquid custos fratris mei sum ego?
10. And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
10. Et dixit, Quid fecisti? vox sanguinis fratris tui clamat ad me e terra.
11. And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
11. nuc itaque maledictus eris e terra, quae aperuit os suum ut exciperet sanuinem fratris tui e manu tua.
12. When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
12. Quando coles terram, non addet ut det vim suam tibi: vagus et profugus eris in terra.
13. And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
13. Et dixit Cain ad Jehovam, Major est punitio mea quam ut feram.
14. Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
14. Ecce, ejecisti me hodie a facie terrae, et a facie tua abscondar, eroque vagus et profugus in terra: et erit, ut quicunque invenerit me, occidat me.
15. And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
15. Et dixit ei Jehova, Propterea quicunque occiderit Cain, septuplum vindicabitur. Et posuit Jehova signum in Cain, ne percuteret eum ullus qui inveniret eum.
16. And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
16. Et egressus est Cain a facie Jehovae, et habitavit in terra Nod ad Orientem Heden.
17. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
17. Cognovit autem Cain uxorem suam: quae concepit, et peperit Hanoch: aedificavitque civitatem, et vocavit nomen civitatis nomine filii sui Hanoch.
18. And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
18. Porro natus est ipsi Hanoch Hirad, et Hirad genuit Mehujael, et Mehujael genuit Methusael: et Methusael genuit Lemech.
19. And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
19. Et accepit sibi Lemech duas uxores: nomen unius, Hada, et nomen secundae, Silla.
20. And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.
20. Et genuit Hada Jabel, ipse fuit pater inhabitantis tentorium, et pecoris.
21. And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.
21. Et nomen fratris ejus, Jubal: ipse fuit pater omnis contrectantis citharam et organum.
22. And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.
22. Et Silla etiam ipsa peperit Thubal -- Cain, polientem omne opificium aereum et ferreum: et soror Thubal -- Cain, fuit Nahama.
23. And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.
23. Et dixit Lemech uxoribus suis Hada et Silla, Audite vocem meam uxores Lemech, auscultate semonem meum, Quoniam virum occidero in vulnere meo, et adolescentem in livore meo.
24. If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.
24. Quia septuplo vindicabitur Cain, et Lemech septuagies septies.
25. And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
25. Cognovit autem Adam rursum uxorem suam: quae peperit filium, et vocavit nomen ejus Seth, Quia posuit mihi, inquit, Deus semen alterum pro Ebel: quia occidit eum Cain.
26. And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.
26. Et ipsi Seth etiam natus est filius, et vocavit nomen ejus Enos: tunc coeptum est invocari nomen Domini.
This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;1. This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
1. Iste est liber generationum Adam: in die qua creavit Deus hominem, ad similitudinem Dei fecit illum.
2. Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
2. Masculum et foeminam creeavit eos, et benedixit eis: et vocavit nomen eorum Hominem, in die qua creati sunt.
3. And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
3. Et vixit Adam triginta et centum annos: et genuit ad similitudinem suam, ad imaginem suam filium, et vocavit nomen ejus Seth.
4. And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
4. Et fuerunt dies Adam postquam genuit Seth, octingenti anni: et genuit filios et filias.
5. And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
5. Fuerunt itaque omnes dies Adam quibus vixit, nongenti anni et triginta anni: et mortuus est.
6. And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:
6. Et vixit Seth quinque annos et centum annos, et genuit Enos.
7. And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
7. Et vixit Seth postquam genuit Enos, septem annos et octingentos annos: et genuit filios et filias.
8. And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.
8. Fuerunt itaque omnes dies Seth, duodecim anni et nongenti anni: et mortuus est.
9. And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:
9. Et vixit Enos nonaginta annos, et genuit Kenan.
10. And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters:
10. Et vixit Enos postquam genuit Kenan, quindecim annos et octingentos annos, et genuit filios et filias.
11. And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died.
11. Fuerunt igitur omnes dies Enos, quinque anni et nongenti anni: et mortuus est.
12. And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel:
12. Et vixit Kenan septuaginta annos, et genuit Mahalaleel.
13. And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters:
13. Et vixit Kenan postquam genuit Mahalaleel, quadraginta annos et octingentos annos: et genuit filios et filias.
14. And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died.
14. Fuerunt itaque omnes dies Kenan, decem anni et nongenti anni: et mortuus est.
15. And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared:
15. Et vixit Mahalaleel quinque annos et sexaginta annos, et genuit Jered.
16. And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters:
16. Et vixit Mahalaleel postquam genuit Jered, triginta annos et octingentos annos: et genuit filios et filias.
17. And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died.
17. Fuerunt igitur omnes dies Mahalaleel, quinque anni et octingenti anni: et mortuus est.
18. And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:
18. Et vixit Jered duos et sexaginta annos et centum annos, et genuit Hanoch.
19. And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
19. Et vixit Jered postquam genuit Hnoch octingentos annos: et genuit filios et filias.
20. And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.
20. Fuerunt ergo omnes dies Jered duo et sexaginta anni et nongenti anni: et mortuus est.
21. And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:
21. Et vixit Hanoch quinque et sexaginta annos, et genuit Methuselah.
22. And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
22. Et ambulavit Hanoch cum Deo, postquam genuit Methuselah, trecentos annos: et genuit filios et filias.
23. And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
23. Fuerunt itaque omnes dies Hanoch, quinque et sexaginta anni et trecenti anni.
24. And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
24. Et ambulavit Hanoch cum Deo: et non fuit, quia tulit eum Deus.
25. And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:
25. Et vixit Methuselah septem et octoginta annos et centum annos, et genuit Lemech.
26. And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
26. Et vixit Methuselah postquam genuit Lemech, duos et octoginta annos et septingentos annos: et genuit filios et filias.
27. And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.
27. Fuerunt igitur omnes dies Methuselah novem et sexaginta anni et nongenti anni: et mortuus est.
28. And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:
28. Et vixit Lemech duos et octoginta annos et centum annos: et genuit filium.
29. And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.
29. Et bocavit nomen ejus Noah, dicendo, Iste consolabitur nos ab opere nostro, et a dolore manuum nostrarum de terra cui maledixit Jehova.
30. And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters:
30. Et vixit Lemech postquam genuit ipsum Noah, quinque et nonaginta annos et quingentos annos et quingentos annos: et genuit filios et filias.
31. And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died.
31. Fuerunt itaque omnes dies Lemech septem et septuaginta anni et septingenti anni: et mortuus est.
32. And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
32. Et erat Noah quingentorum annorum, et genuit ipse Noah, Sem, Cham, et Jepheth.
And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,1. And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
1. Et fuit, quum coepis sent homines multiplicari in superficie terrae, filiaeque natae essent eis:
2. That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
2. Tunc viderunt filii Dei filias hominum quod pulchrae essent: et acceperunt sibi uxores ex omnibus quas elegerant.
3. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
3. Et dixit Jehovan, Non desceptabit Spiritus meus cum homine in saeculum, eo quod sit etiam ipse caro: et erunt dies ejus centum et viginti anni.
4. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
4. Gigantes fuerunt in terra in diebus illis: et etiam postquam ingressi sunt filii Dei ad filias hominum, genuerunt eis: isti sunt potentes, qui a saeculo fuerunt viri nominis.
5. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
5. Et vidit Jehova quod multa esset malitia hominum in terra et quod omne figmentum cogitationum cordit eorum tantumodo esset malum omni die:
6. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
6. Tunc poenituit Jehovam quod fecisset hominem in terra et doluit in corde suo.
7. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
7. Et dixit Jehova, Delebo hominem quem creavi, a superficie terrae, ab homine usque ad jumentum, usque ad reptile, et usque ad volatile coeli: quia poenitet me quod fecerim ea.
8. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
8. Et Noah invenit gratiam in oculis Jehovae.
9. These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
9. Istae sunt generationes Noah. Noah vir justus, perfectus fuit in generationibus suis: cum Deo ambulavit Noah.
10. And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
10. Genuit vero Noah tres filios, Sem, Cham, et Jepheth.
11. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
11. Et corrupta erat: nam corruperat omnis caro viam suam super terram.
12. And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
12. Et vidit Deus terran, et ecce, corrupta erat: nam corruperat omnis caro viam suam super terram.
13. And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
13. Dixit itaque Deus ad Noah, Finis universae carnis venit coram me: quia repleta est terrs iniquitate a facie eorum: et ecce, ego disperdam eos cum terra.
14. Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
14. Fac tibi arcam e lignis gopher, mansiunculas facies in arca, et bituminabis eam intrinsecus et extrinsecus bitumine.
15. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of : The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
15. Et haec mensura qua facies cam: Trecentorum cubitorum erit longitudo arcae, quinquaginta cubitorum latitudo ejus: et triginta cubitorum altitudo ejus.
16. A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.
16. Fenestram facies arcae, et in cubito consummabis eam superne: ostium vero arcae in latere ejus pones: inferiora et secunda, et tertia facies in ea.
17. And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
17. Et ego ecce ego adduco diluvium aquarum super terram, ut disperdam omnem carnem in qua est spiritus vitae sub coelo: omne quod est in terra morietur.
18. But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.
18. Et statuam pactum meum tecum, et ingredieris arcam tu, et filii tui, et uxor tua, et uxores filiorum tuorum tecum.
19. And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
19. Et ex omni vivente, ex omni carne, bina ex omnibus introduces in arcam, ut viva serventur tecum, masculus et foemina erunt.
20. Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
20. Ex volatili secundum speciem suam, et ex animali secundum speciem suam, ex omni reptili terrae secundum speciem suam, bina ex omnibus ingredientur ad to, ut viva conserventur.
21. And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.
21. Et tu cape tibi ex omni esca quae comeditur, et congregabis tibi, eritque tibi et illis ad vescendum.
22. Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.
22. Et fecit Noah juxta omnia quae praeceperat ei Deus, sic fecit.
And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.1. And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
1. Et dixit Jehova ad Noah, Ingredere tu, et omnis domus tua arcam: quia to vidi justum coram me in aetate ista.
2. Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
2. Ex omni animali mundo capies tibi septena septena, virum et foemellam ejus: et ex animali quod non mundum est, bina, virum et foemellam ejus.
3. Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
3. Etiam ex volatili coeli septena, masculum et foemellam: ut vivum conservetur semen in superficie omnis terrae.
4. For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth.
4. Quia post dies adhuc septem ego pluam super terram quadraginta dies, et quadraginta noctes, et delebo omnem substantiam quam feci, a superficie terrae.
5. And Noah did according unto all that the LORD commanded him.
5. Et fecit Noah secundum omnia quae praeceperat ei Jehova.
6. And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth.
6. Noah autem erat sexcentorum annorum quando diluvium fuit aquarum super terram.
7. And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.
7. Et ingressus Noah, et filii ejus, et uxor ejus, et uxores filiorum ejus cum eo in arcam, propter aquas diluvii.
8. Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,
8. Ex animali mundo, et ex animali quod non erat mundum, et ex volatili, et ex omni quod reptat super terram,
9. There went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah.
9. Bina bina ingressa sunt ad Noah in arcam, masculus et foemella, quemadmodum praeceperat Deus ipsi Noah.
10. And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
10. Et fuit, post septem dies aquae diluvii fuerunt super terram.
11. In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
11. In anno sexcentesimo annorum vitae Noah, in mense secundo, in septimadecima die mensis, die ipsa, rupti sunt omnes fontes voraginis magnaaae, et fenestrae coeli apertae sunt.
12. And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.
12. Et fuit pluvia super terram quadraginta dies et quadraginta noctes.
13. In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
13. Ipso eodem die ingressus est Noah, et Sem, et Cham, et Jepheth, filii Noah, et uxor Noah, tresque uxores filiorum ejus cum illis, in arcam:
14. They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
14. Ipsi, et omnis bestia juxta speciem suam, et omne animal juxta speciem suam, et omne reptile quod reptat super terram, secundum speciem suam, et omne volatile juxta speciem suam, omnis abis, et omne alatum.
15. And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
15. Ingressa sunt igitur ad Noah in arcam, bina bina ex omni carne in qua erat spiritus vitae.
16. And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.
16. Et quae ingressa sunt, masculus et foemina ex omni carne ingressa sunt, quemadmodum praeceperat ei Deus: et clausit Jehova super eum.
17. And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
17. Et factum est diluvium quadraginta dies super terram, et multilicatae sunt aquae, elevaveruntque arcam: itaque elevata est a terra.
18. And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
18. Et praevaluerunt aquae, et multiplicatae sunt valde super terram, et fluitabat arca super faciem aquarum.
19. And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
19. Roboraverunt itaque se aquae valde super terram, et operti sunt omnes montes excelsi qui erant sub universo coelo.
20. Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
20. Quindecim cubitis superne roboraverunt se aquae, ita ut operti sint montes.
21. And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
21. Et mortua est omnis caro quae reptabat super terram, tam de volatili quam de animali et bestia, et omni reptili quod reptat super terram, et omni homine.
22. All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
22. Omnia in quorum nare erat anhelitus spiritus vitae, ex omnibus quae erant in sicco, mortua sunt.
23. And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
23. Et delevit omnem substantiam vivam, quae erat super faciem terrae, ab homine usque ad jumentum, usque ad reptile, et usque ad volatile coeli: et deleta sunt e terra, et remansit tantum Noah, et qui cum eo erant in arca.
24. And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.
24. Et roboraverunt se aquae super terram quinquaginta et centum dies.
And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged;1. And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged;
1. Recordatus est autem Deus Noah, et omnis bestiae, et omnis animalis quae erant cum eo in arca: et transire fecit Deus ventum super terram, et quieverunt aquae.
2. The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained;
2. Et clauserunt se fontes abyssi, fenestraeque coelo.
3. And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.
3. Et reversae sunt aquae a superficie terrae, eundo et redeundo, et defecerunt aquae in fine quinquaginta et centum dierum.
4. And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.
4. Et requievit arca mense septimo, septimadecima die mensis super montes Ararath.
5. And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.
5. Et aquae ibant et deficiebant usque ad mensem decimum: in decimo, in prima mensis visa sunt cacumina montium.
6. And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made:
6. Et fuit, in fine quadraginta dierum, aperuit Noah fenestram arcae quam fecerat.
7. And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth.
7. Et misit corvum, et egressus est egrediendo et redeundo, donex siccarentur aquae quae erant super terram.
8. Also he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the face of the ground;
8. Deinde misit columbam a se, ut videret an extenuatae essent aquae a superficie terrae.
9. But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him into the ark, for the waters were on the face of the whole earth: then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark.
9. Et non invenit columba requiem plantae pedis sui, et reversa est ad eum in arcam: quia aquae erant in superficie omnis terrae: et misit manum suam, et accepit eam, introduxitque eam ad se in arcam.
10. And he stayed yet other seven days; and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark;
10. Et expectavit adhuc septem dies alios, et addidit ut mitteret columbam ex arca.
11. And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth.
11. Et venit ad eum columba tempore vespertimo, et ecce, folium olivae raptum erat in ore ejus, et cognovit Noah quod extenuatae essent aquae a superficie terrae.
12. And he stayed yet other seven days; and sent forth the dove; which returned not again unto him any more.
12. Et expectavit adhuc septem alios, et misit columbam: et non addidit ut reverteretur ad cum amplius.
13. And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from off the earth: and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and, behold, the face of the ground was dry.
13. Et fuit, primo et sexcentesimo anno, primo mense, in prima mensis, siccatae sunt aquae a superficie terrae: removit autem Noah operimentum arcae, et vidit, et exxe siccata erat facies terrae.
14. And in the second month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month, was the earth dried.
14. Et in mense secundo, in septima et vicesima die mensis, aruit terra.
15. And God spake unto Noah, saying,
15. Loquutus est autem Deus ad Noah, dicendo,
16. Go forth of the ark, thou, and thy wife, and thy sons, and thy sons' wives with thee.
16. Egredere ex arca, tu, et uxor tua, et filii tui, et uxores filiorum tuorum tecum.
17. Bring forth with thee every living thing that is with thee, of all flesh, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth; that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply upon the earth.
17. Omnem bestiam quae est tecum, ex omni carne, tam de volatili quam de animali, et omni reptili quod reptat super terram educ tecum: ut se moveant in terra, et crescant, multiplicenturque super terram.
18. And Noah went forth, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him:
18. Et egressus est Noah, et filii ejus, et uxor ejus, et uxores filiorum ejus cum eo.
19. Every beast, every creeping thing, and every fowl, and whatsoever creepeth upon the earth, after their kinds, went forth out of the ark.
19. Omnis bestia, omne reptile et omne volatile, omne quod movetur super terram, secundum familias eorum egressa sunt ex arca.
20. And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
20. Et aedificavit Noah altare Jehovae, et tulit ex omni animali mundo, et ex omni volatili mundo, et obtulit holocausta in altari.
21. And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
21. Odoratusque est Jehova odorem quietis. Et dixit Jehova in corde suo, Non addam ut maledicam ultra terrae propter hominem: quia cogitatio cordis hominis mala est a pueritia sua: nec addam ultra ut percutiam omne vivens quemadmodum feci.
22. While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
22. Posthac omnibus diebus terrae, sementis et messis, et frigus et aestus, et aestas et hyems, et dies et nox non cessabunt.
And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.1. And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
1. Et benedixit Deus Noah, et filiis ejus: et dixit ad eos, Crescite, et multiplicamini, et replete terram.
2. And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
2. Et timor vester et pavor vester erit super omnem bestiam terrae, et super omne volatile coeli, cum omnibus quae gradiuntur in terra, et omnibus piscibus maris: quia manui vestrae tradita sunt.
3. Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
3. Omne reptile quod vivit, vobis erit ad vescendum: sicut virentem herbam dedi vobis omnia.
4. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
4. Veruntamen carnem cum anima ejus, sanguine ejus, non comedetis.
5. And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.
5. Et profecto sanguinem vestrum, qui vobis est in animas, requiram: de manu omnis bestiae requiram illum, et de manu hominis, et de manu viri fratris ejus requiram animam hominis.
6. Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
6. Qui effuderit sanguinem hominis in homine, sanguis ejus effundetur: quia ad imaginem Dei fecit hominem.
7. And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.
7. Et vos crescite, et multiplicamini, et generate in terra, et multiplicemini in ea.
8. And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,
8. Et dixit Deus ad Noah, et ad filios ejus qui cum eo erant, dicendo,
9. And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
9. Et ego, ecce ego statuo pactum meum vobiscum, et cum semine vestro post vos.
10. And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.
10. Et cum omni anima vivente quae est vobiscum, tam cum volatili quam cum animali, et omni bestia terrae vobiscum, ab omnibus quae egressa sunt ex arca: cum omni, inquam, bestia terrae.
11. And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
11. Et statuam pactum meum vobiscum, et non excidetur omnis caro ultra ab aquis diluvii, et non erit ultra diluvium, ut disperdat terram.
12. And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
12. Et dixit Deus, Hoc est signum foederis quod ego do inter me et bos, et omnem animan viventem quae est vobiscum in generationes saeculi:
13. I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
13. Arcum meum ponam in nube, et erit in signum foederis inter me et terram.
14. And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
14. Et erit, quum obnubilavero nubem super terram, tunc apparebit arcus in nube.
15. And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
15. Et recordabor foederis mei quod est inter me et vos, et omnem animam viventem cum omni carne: et non erit ultra aqua ad diluvium, ut disperdat omnem carnem.
16. And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
16. Et erit arcus in nube, et videbo illum, ut recorder pacti perpetui inter Deum et omnem animam viventem cum omni carne quae est super terram.
17. And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.
17. Et dixit Deus ad Noah, Hoc est signum foederis quod statui inter me et omnem carnem quae est super terram.
18. And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.
18. Erant autem filii Noah qui egressi sunt de arca, Sem, Cham, et Jepheth: et Cham est pater Chenaan.
19. These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
19. Tres isti, filii Noah: et ab istis dispersa est universa terra.
20. And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
20. Coepit vero Noah colere terram, et plantavit vineam.
21. And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
21. Et bibit de vino et inebriatus est, et discooperuit se in medio tabernaculi sui.
22. And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
22. Et vidit Cham pater Chenaan turpitudinem patris sui, et nuntiavit duobus fratribus suis in platea.
23. And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
23. Et tulerunt Sem et Jepheth vestimentum, et posuerunt super humerum ambo ipse: et euntes retrorsum, operuerunt turpitudinem patris sui: et facies eorum erant retrorsum, et turpitudinem patris sui non viderunt.
24. And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
24. Expergefactus autem Noah a vino suo, cognovit quod fecerat sibi filius suus minor.
25. And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
25. Et dixit, Maledictus Chenaan, servus servorum erit fratribus suis.
26. And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
26. Et dixit, Benedictus Jehova Deus Sem, et sit Chenaan servus eis.
27. God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
27. Dilatet Deus Jepheth, et habitet in tabernaculis Sem: et sit Chenaan servus eis.
28. And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years.
28. Et vixit Noah post diluvium trecentos annos et quinquaginta annos.
29. And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.
29. Fuerunt autem omnes dies Noah nongenti anni et quinquaginta: et mortuus est.
Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.1. Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.
1. Porro istae sunt generationes filiorum Noah, Sem, Cham, et Jepheth: quibus nati sunt filii post diluvium.
2. The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.
2. Filii Jepheth, Gomer, et Magog, et Madai, et Javan, et Thubal, et Mesech, et Thiras.
3. And the sons of Gomer; Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.
3. Et filii Gomer, Ascenas, et Riphath, et Thogarmah.
4. And the sons of Javan; Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
4. Et filii Javan, Elisah, et Tharsis, Chitthim, Dodanim.
5. By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
5. Ab istis separatae sunt insulae Gentium secundum terras suas, singulae secundum linguam suam, secundum familias suas, in gentibus suis.
6. And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.
6. Et filii Cham, Chus, et Misraim, et Phut, et Chenaan.
7. And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtecha: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan.
7. Et filii Chus, Seba, et Havilah, et Sabthah, et Rahamah, et Sabtecha. Filii autem Rahamah, Seba, et Dedan.
8. And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.
8. Et Chus genuit Nimrod: ipse coepit esse potens in terra:
9. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD.
9. Ipse fuit potens in venatione coram Jehova: idcirco dicitur, Sicut Nimrod poteus venatione coram Jehova.
10. And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
10. Et fuit principium regni illius Babel, et Erech, et Achad, et Chalneh, in terra Sinhar.
11. Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah,
11. E terra illa egressus est Assur, et aedificavit Nineven, et Rehoboth civitatem, et Chelah,
12. And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city
12. Et Resen inter Nineven et inter Chelah; ipsa est civitas magna.
13. And Mizraim begat Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim,
13. Misraim autem genuit Ludim, et Hanamim, et Lehabim, et Naphthuhim,
14. And Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (out of whom came Philistim,) and Caphtorim.
14. Et Pathrusim, et Casluhim, unde egressi sunt Pelistim, et Chaphthorim.
15. And Canaan begat Sidon his firstborn, and Heth,
15. Et Chenaan genuit Sidon primogenitum suum, et Heth,
16. And the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite,
16. Et Jebusi, et Emori, et Girgasi,
17. And the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite,
17. Et Hivvi, et Arci, et Sini,
18. And the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite: and afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad.
18. Et Arvadi, et Semari, et Hamathi: et postea sparsae sunt familiae Chenaanaei.
19. And the border of the Canaanites was from Sidon, as thou comest to Gerar, unto Gaza; as thou goest, unto Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even unto Lasha.
19. Et fuit terminus Chenaanaei a Sidon ingrediente to Gerar usque ad Hazzah, donec ingrediaris Sedom et Hamorah, et Admah, et Seboim, usque ad Lasah.
20. These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.
20. Isti filii Cham per familias suas, per linguas suas, in terris suis, in gentibus suis.
21. Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder, even to him were children born.
21. Ipsi quoque Sem soboles, etiam ipse fuit pater omnium filiorum Eber, frater Jepheth major.
22. The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.
22. Filii Sem, Helam, et Assur, et Arphachsad, et Lud, et Aram.
23. And the children of Aram; Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash.
23. Et filii Aram, Hus, et Hul, et Gether, et Mas.
24. And Arphaxad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber.
24. Et Arphachsad genuit Selah, et Selah genuit Eber.
25. And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.
25. Et ipsi Eber nati sunt duo filii: nomen unius Peleg, quia in diebus ejus divisa est terra: et nomen fratris ejus Joctan.
26. And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah,
26. Et Joctan genuit Almodad, et Seleph, et Hasarmaveth, et Jarah,
27. And Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah,
27. Et Hadoram, et Uzal, et Diclah,
28. And Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba,
28. Et Hobal, et Abimael, et Seba,
29. And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.
29. Et Ophir, et Havilah, et Jobab: omnes isti filii Joctan.
30. And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east.
30. Et fuit habitatio eorum a Mesah, donec ingrediaris Sephar, montem Orientis.
31. These are the sons of Shem, after their families, after their tongues, in their lands, after their nations.
31. Isti filii Sem per familias suas, per linguas suas, in terris suis, in gentibus suis.
32. These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood.
32. Istae familiae filiorum Noah per generationes suas in gentibus suis: et ab istis divisae sunt gentes in terra post diluvium.